Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Building My Own Cycling Shed for 2018 - Part 1

Good morning everyone! Its been a long time since I have posted anything on this blog. I'v just been super busy with work and fitness.

You should all know by now that I'm a huge fitness junkie. I love sweating and being able to run for miles without losing breath. Its super healthy and helps in everyday activities such as moving houses and scrubbing the stairs.

I have been always been cycling since I was a small boy when my father taught me at our local park. I dont think iv ever went a week without cycling! Even when I go on holiday, I always find myself renting a bike and cycling along the beautiful coast lines and beaches.

I have tried to use my car much less this year and made it a rule in my home that if your destination is 2 miles or less, then your choices are to walk to cycle to wherever your going, unless its absolutely pouring with rain. For distances longer than 2 miles in the city, I tend to find the nearest free parking and cycle to wherever I'm going. A friend of mine recently introduced me a bike renting scheme in the city called Next Bike where you can grab a bike at the nearest approved station and return it to any other station. Its reasonably priced too, and for members, you get the first 30 minutes ride free everytime you use a bike. I have used it a handful of times when I don't have my bike in my car and it has been a great. 

Anyway, I have a new DIY project for 2018- I'm going to building my own indoor bike in my own back garden shed. For those who follow this blog, to help fund this project I'm using all the money I saved from installing my solar panels from last year. You can read all about it in my previous post. Hopefully the total cost wont be more than £2000, which is my budget.

Here is how big I want it to be:


It will be small but keep in mind, I only need a few things in it. Namely an indoor bike or a turbo trainer or both (still debating this), a towel rack, small storage box (to store my tools, telescopic ladder and other bits and bobs) and a TV mounted to a wall for my entertainment (I don't want to stare at a wall for 2 hours while cycling). So overall it should be fairly minimalistic, similar to something like this:


My TV will be wall mounted, probably in the 50 inch range so it can be as immersive as possible. Indoor cycling of any kind can get boring pretty fast unless you have something to keep your mind off it. If you need something to keep yourself busy, I suggest you take a look at HDCyclings's YouTube channel, he uploads regular POV rides that you can follow along to, its really good stuff.


So, I have most of the ground foundations done already from my last project so that should keep costs to a minimal. The only thing I really need to think about is: What tv I should get (I was thinking a hisense to keep the costs down) and also if I should have a fully enclosed shed or one with windows. Please comment your thoughts below.

Thanks for reading and keep a look out for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment